Whether you’re just starting a business or been running a company for a while, local citations should matter a lot. They represent mentions of your business all across the internet. There are various places where one could information about a business. There are general directories, industry-related websites, blog posts, etc. However, if your name appears at the right time and in the right place, potential customers will be able to find it and buy products or services for you. Moreover, local citations help your search ranking and improve the overall popularity of your website and business. That’s why we want to narrow your search and present the most popular citation sites among local businesses. Make sure you consider them in your building citations strategy.
Citation building – why you should care about it?
Running a local business is all about attracting customers from the area. Nowadays, the internet has become the main source of information, for those who need a product or service. As a result, people use their computers or mobile phones to search for local businesses that can provide them with those solutions. Therefore, if they can’t find your business online, you lose a huge number of potential customers. The easiest way to build citations is to have your business professionally listed by experts such as AZ Citation Services. Targeting the most popular and the most important directories, your business will appear in the essential locations. That’s why we should go through the list of the essential spots in the citation world.
Where to post citations – popular citation sites among local businesses
To make sure the search engines, as well as customers, trust you, your business needs to be present at the right locations. These websites are supposed to be relevant to your industry, and your potential customers. The places where you should consider in your local SEO campaign are listed below:
- Facebook – apart from being a personal social network, it is a way to promote a business locally and easily gain more customers;
- Apple Maps/Bing Maps/Google Maps – whatever is the search engine your customers use, they should be able to find a way to your store in a matter of seconds. Google, Bing, and Yahoo are among the most used search engines that every local business should utilize the best way possible;
- Booking – for those related to the tourism industry, this website is essential for renting accommodation;
- Yelp – confirm your quality and authority by getting positive reviews on Yelp, one of the most popular citation sites among local businesses;
- Trip Advisor – travelers and locals go to this website in search of the best cafe, restaurant, or accommodation. Whether they are traveling or just want to visit a great place in their own city, this website is one of the best.
- Foursquare – a famous website used for sharing information about local businesses;
- Angie’s list – for those providing services in home repair, health care, auto services, and more, this is one of the essential locations;
- Better Business Bureau – the website that makes customers and businesses trust each other. Reviews, complaints, and complete information that can be narrowed to a specific location.
These are some of the most popular local directories, which should be the first step of your citation-building journey. However, be sure to remember to do the cleanup first, to avoid double, misleading information on these websites.
After covering all the important general business directories, it is essential to narrow your search to a specific area. There are directories relevant to your area that you can find by doing a simple search on Google or another search engine. There are also tools that can help you out with localizing your search for directories and making sure you’re listing your business in the right place.
Directories related to your niche
Again, the places where you place citations depend on more than one factor. Apart from the location, you should also consider the industry your business belongs to. This is important because people are looking for specific services or products. That’s why your business should appear on websites dedicated to those services.
Tips for more efficient citations
It really matters where you post citations. However, don’t forget the way you post them. Formatting local citations is also a crucial factor for a successful strategy. Here are the best tips to help you out:
- be consistent with your NAP – correct and consistent information across all directories is the key to SEO success. Make sure the information about your business is accurate on all websites, and use a unique way of formatting.
- set up a GMB account – an essential step to improve the rankings and use the benefits of all Google services;
- add photos – add professionally taken photos on all directories that allow you to do so. This completes the presentation of your business and makes a better impression on potential customers;
- write descriptions – even though this might seem like a secondary, less important step, business descriptions help engines understand the business better and rank them properly in the search results.
Track your citations
Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for businesses to lose citations. That’s why constant tracking of your local citations’ status is necessary to maintain a good image of your business online. There are tools that can help you out to do this without spending a lot of time and energy.
It’s true that building citations take effort. However, it always pays off. With the list of the most popular citation sites among local businesses and the help of professionals, the process will be much easier. And what’s most important is that your local business will finally be recognized by customers, and loved by search engines. Start making your strategy and build your citations – the right way.